My Areas of Expertise


Every year people come to the United States seeking protection because they have been persecuted or fear they will be persecuted because of their:
• race
• Religion
• Nationality
• Belonging to a certain social group
• Political opinion

If you fear returning to your home country, you may be eligible for asylum, which will allow you to remain in the United States. You may also include your spouse and children who are in the United States on your application at the time you apply or at any time until a final decision is made on your case.


Naturalization is the way in which a non-citizen born outside the United States becomes a US citizen. The most common path to US citizenship through naturalization is to be a lawful permanent resident (green card holder) for at least five years. However, there are certain applicants who are eligible to apply for naturalization after being a lawful permanent resident for only three years. Although most applicants must demonstrate that they can read, write, and speak basic English, certain applicants are granted a waiver of this English requirement.

Family Petitions

US immigration law allows certain family members of US citizens and lawful permanent residents to become lawful permanent residents (get a green card), such as spouses, children, parents, and siblings. This process is completed within the United States or through a United States consulate or embassy in the applicant’s home country.

Consular Processing

Applications for permanent residence and various visas, such as student visas, work visas, and artist visas, can sometimes be submitted and processed at US consulates and embassies around the world. Generally, the process concludes with an interview at a US consulate or embassy in the country of origin.


In general, you may be eligible for a U visa if you are a victim of qualifying criminal activity, suffered substantial physical or mental abuse, assisted law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime, and the crime occurred within the United States. Joined.

It is important to note that you may be able to include certain family members, such as spouses, children, and parents. Additionally, a waiver is available for U-Visa applicants who can waive certain grounds of inadmissibility, such as entering the United States illegally and having a prior order of removal.

Special Immigrant Juvenile Status

A child under the age of 21 who is unmarried and resides in the United States may qualify for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS) if he or she has been abandoned, abused, or neglected by a parent. It is important to note that SIJS only requires that one parent has committed the abandonment, abuse, or neglect of the child. This is a very beneficial form of immigration relief because it creates a path to lawful permanent residence (Green Card) for the child.


Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), you may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident (get a green card) if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

• A US citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or former spouse (green card holder);
• A US citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) parent;
• A US citizen son or daughter.

Cancellation of Removal

Cancellation of removal is a form of immigration relief available to certain noncitizens who have resided in the United States for at least 10 years and who have a spouse, child, or parent who is a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. In addition, cancellation of removal may also be available to lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who have been placed in removal proceedings.

Deportation Defense

Being placed in removal proceedings (deportation proceedings) can be a very scary and intimidating process. However, we work diligently to ensure that we are able to identify all available forms of immigration relief, such as asylum, cancellation of removal, and adjustment of status, and to zealously represent you in immigration court. We promise to always be direct, thorough and honest throughout the process so that you are fully informed every step of the way.

Find out how I can help you

The Law Office of Alejandro Barajas specializes in various types of immigration cases, including Adjustment of Status, Family Petitions, Citizenship, Permanent Residency by Marriage, Consular Processing, U Visas, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status, DACA, Political Asylum, TPS , Parole in Place, Cancellation of Removal in Immigration Court, Deportation Defense, Immigration Bonds, VAWA, Waivers, Appeals, Representation for ICE Detainees, Humanitarian Visas to the United States, Artist Visas O–1, Student Visas F–1, H–1B and H–2B Work Visas, Removal Proceedings, FBI Registration, Residency Renewal, and Representation in Immigration Court.

Have a question?